Thursday 17 December 2009

How It Is, Miroslaw Balka, Visited 28th October 2009


My experience:


In the Turbine Hall of Tate Modern the viewer has to walk the length of this large box structure on stilts to reach the vast ramp which leads up to its entrance. I gained an understanding of the scale of the installation before I had even entered it. I advanced through the space, gradually being plunged darker and darker into the unknown, triggering the senses as vision fades away and touch and sound become more important. I feel that this installation could only truely be experienced with very few people in the structure, unfortunately I was constantly visually aware of people around me and when I thought I had finally reached the line where vision is totally lost, I had in fact reached the end of the box.


No comments:

Post a Comment