Thursday 17 December 2009

Anish Kapoor Exhibition, Royal Academy of Arts, Visited 17 October 2009

I spent around two hours appreciating this fantastic exhibition by Anish Kapoor, which is highly interesting for all ages. I was particularly mesmerised by the untouchable interactive nature of the art work. The forms, textures, colours and relationship to the stunning rooms of the Royal Academy of Arts were particularly noteworthy. The perfectly mirrored objects which stood in one room triggered a continual flow of people advancing towards and away from them, there was a playful attitude towards these works. The mirrored surfaces would confuse our notion of space, flipping the room upside-down, placing the viewer in their peripheral vision and context, elongating or squashing the viewer, whilst the Tall Tree and The Eye in the courtyard multiplied the surroundings. The impact of Svayambh, a large wax train slowly advancing through five galleries of the Royal Academy was fascinating. Moving so painfully slowly, at first I thought it was stationary as I could see it down the rails in one of the other galleries, but as it slid through one of the archways and cracks of light appeared from the next gallery it would slide through, its motion became apparent. The traces of which, were left as a careless waxy smear over the walls of the pristine gallery. When I Am Pregnant suddenly rolled out of the flat surface of the wall with not even a bare acknowledgement of a seem as I strolled past it, faultless in its simplicity this form becomes hidden when viewed directly in front of it.


The capability of the sculptures to bring out such a physical experience of the exhibition made it truely impressive for me. As a viewer I found myself continually on the move enabling me to learn more and more about the forms and their abilities as stationary objects.

No comments:

Post a Comment